Monday, March 4, 2013

Prednisone - my new BFF!

Starting prednisone immune-suppression medication is no joke!

The pamphlet my doctor gave me states that "some symptoms start to feel better within 1 to 2 days after taking the first dose of prednisone while optimal effectiveness of prednidone is to happen at the 3-4week zone" (if the drug is to work at all). It also says that within the first 7-10 days weakness and worsening of symptoms can occur and last for about 6 days.
I am at the two week mark of starting Prednisone and Mestinon for treating Myasthenia Gravis.
So far I've been text book. My double vision started to improve in 2-3 days and like clockwork the weakness kicked in by day seven. Now my jaws, arms, lungs and other muscles were weaker, eating overcooked broccoli became a challenge and I had an episode of shortness of breathe which was pretty scary as it feels a bit like drowning. Luckily the Mestinon is quick to help. But still the week of weakening was pretty horrid.

To add to the fun, it made me super dopey, high (and not in a good way) and freakishly emotional. The world sunk like marshmallows under foot. I've was really emotional, scared, irrational, overwhelmed, dizzy, grabbing wrong words, even called my drummer the wrong name, and at times just wanted this crazy episode to stop even if it meant having the double vision back.
(Tip: tell your friends in advance that random texts and moments might occur and they are to remind you it's JUST the meds!) 
Luckily for me, my acupuncturist, husband, and friends all told me "just get through it! Survive". And so far I have. At the two week mark and I am hopeful that the light at the end of the tunnel is actually a light! (Other light options: an oncoming locomotive, a bolt of lightening or alien abductors.)

The Prednisone path ahead is no cake walk either. While not everyone will experience all the heinous side effects (e.g. osteoporosis, diabetes, weight gain, moon-face, insomnia or a hump) taking prednisone doses higher than 20 milligrams daily for longer than a week is addictive. YOU are now a chemical ADDICT as your body's natural production of adrenal hormones begins to decrease. This is called "adrenal suppression," and is an undesirable but inevitable effect of taking high doses of a synthetic steroid. Once this occurs, prednisone cannot be stopped all at once but must be slowly tapered down over several months to give the adrenal glands a chance to "wake up" and begin producing natural adrenal hormones again. Once you start taking prednisone longer than a week, you are like a junkie to it, committed to its command for at least a year. During this time you will pray to NOT experience the onset of a hump or whatever horrid side effect might fancy you.

Well for all this crazy, I really hope it works. I have come to terms that I must make friends with it energetically! Friends can't be friends if we hate eachother. So prednisone is going to be my pal, at least for now. So until I can say "TTYN Prednisone", I've gone paleo, am taking my meds as prescribed, and am getting acupunture to feel better!

1 comment:

  1. I hope Prednisone and you get along well and MG doesn't drive you too crazy. I'll have had it 16 years in April. Be well.

    ReplyDelete